Rack of lamb is quite a simple Sunday lunch food to cook, and a nice cut of meat. The longer you have the marinade on, the better the result will be. I would try to have the meat marinating for at least four hours, but overnight would be ideal. In terms of the cooking time, I like mine medium (pink), and the cooking times on here provide exactly that.
25g butter for searing
2 cloves of garlic
leaves from 3 rosemary sprigs
leaves from 4 thyme sprigs
6 black peppercorns
2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp olive oil
Garlic mashed potatoes
5 large potatoes (about 800g)
1/2 – 1 tsp salt
50ml – 100ml double cream
5 cloves garlic
2 sprigs rosemary
1 tsp sea salt (or standard table salt)
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients together. I tend to crush them together with a pestle and mortar.
2. Clean the rack bones with a sharp knife, to remove the sinew. It won’t however be a problem if you don’t, this is only done for aesthetic reasons, and won’t affect on the cooking of the meat.
3. Rub the marinade mixture all over the meat, cover with cling film and place in the fridge for four hours, or overnight.
4. Peel and quarter the potatoes, place in a pot with four out of the five garlic cloves, rosemary and salt. Cover with water, bring to boil and cook until the potatoes are soft. Once cooked, pour the water off, and remove the garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs / leaves. Mash the potatoes, and add the butter, milk, cream and salt. Finally, peel and crush the remaining garlic clove into the mash.
5. Heat oven to 200°C (fan) / 430°F. Melt the butter in a frying pan suitable for oven. Place the rack in the pan fat side down, and brown for a few minutes. Then sear both ends of the rack. Sear the remaining side, leaving the rack on the frying pan fat side up. For aesthetic reasons, you can cover the bones with foil, so that they won’t colour too much in the oven.
6. Place the frying pan and the lamb rack in the preheated oven. For medium (pink) meat, cook for 20 minutes.
7. After the cooking time has passed, remove from oven. Cover the meat with foil, and rest for 10 minutes.
2 thoughts on “Rack of lamb with garlic mashed potatoes”
Wow, looks delicious!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you 😊