I think homemade dips and sauces are always so much tastier than shop bought ones, not to mention they are missing the preservatives present in ready made foods. You can also always add or reduce the amount of certain ingredients, to make it exactly to your taste. I think I have now perfected my hummus recipe to how I like it, I hope you do too. And as a bonus, this is very simple and quick to make. Originally from the Middle East, before spreading to the Mediterranean region, this dip is now enjoyed world wide.
1 can of cooked chickpeas
2 tbsp of the liquid from the chickpeas
4 tbsp lemon juice
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp olive oil
1. When draining the chickpeas, reserve the liquid in a bowl.
2. Put all ingredients in a blender, and whizz until smooth.
I normally have this with pitta bread. I’m actually currently making it, however we’ve already eaten most of the hummus with the below accompaniments, as it was so tasty!
This simple and tasty dip is a perfect accompaniment to give your food an oriental twist.
This video doesn’t exist
5 hot red chillies
6 cloves of garlic
250ml caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground sweet paprika
130ml rice vinegar
1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
1 tbsp lime juice (1 fresh lime)
1. Finely chop the garlic and chilli. Do also use the seeds from the chillies.
2. Place all the ingredients in a pan, apart from the fish sauce and lime juice.
3. Bring to boil, to dissolve the sugar. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes. While it’s warm it will stay quite liquid, but will get thicker once cooled. Depending on how thick you want it, you can simmer the mixture for longer, you will only know how to make it to your preferred consistency by trying it.
4. Take off the heat, add the fish sauce and lime juice, and mix together.
For breakfast this weekend I had ham, homemade guacamole and poached eggs on sourdough toast. Below you can find my guacamole recipe, which truly is much better that the ones you buy from the shop. And it’s really easy to make too!
2 ripe avocados
2 small tomatoes (cherry or plum)
1 small green chilli
1 clove of garlic
handful of fresh coriander
1/2 lemon juice (or 1 tbsp bottled)
splash of cream, until desired consistency is achieved
Blend all ingredients together, adding cream until desired consistency is achieved.