This fragrant Thai food is one of my favourites. I was very glad when I learnt how to make my own paste some years ago. The paste itself is easy to make, and so is the rest of the food.
5 tbsp Thai green curry paste click here for my recipe
400ml coconut cream
500g chicken, cut into strips or chunks
1 courgette / zucchini, cut into pieces
2-3 mini aubergines / eggplants, cut into pieces
1 red pepper, cut into strips
5 chestnut mushrooms, quartered
1. Fry the paste in a pan for about 10 seconds. There is no need to add oil.
2. Pour the coconut cream in, and add all the other ingredients. Bring to boil, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
When cooking foods that are not part of your original culture, it’s often easy to think that it’s something very difficult and complicated. I’ve loved the fragrant Thai green curry for a long time, but didn’t really know how to make it. Until I started making my own paste, and realized how easy it actually is.
6 small green chillies
large piece root ginger
3 cloves of garlic
small bunch of coriander
2-3 stalks of fresh lemongrass
1 lime, juice and grated zest
8 kaffir lime leaves
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 tsp Thai fish sauce
1 tsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Break the whole spices with either a pestle and mortar or a spice mill.
2. Cut the stalks off the chillis, and chop roughly to smaller pieces.Peel and roughly chop the garlic, onion and ginger, and prepare the lime. Also chop the lemongrass into smaller pieces.
3. Put all ingredients in the food processor, and blitz until smooth paste.
4. The paste is now ready to be used.